Whether your cat has a medical or behavioral issue, you may have to deal with pee in places other than the litter box. I am going to teach you the best way to clean cat urine from carpet. Removing the urine odor starts with using the proper tool: Enzyme-powered cleaners.
Enzymes are the magic technology that actually breaks down the source of the odor. Cat urine is composed of uric acid crystals, urea, and proteins which regular carpet cleaners cannot break down.
Cats have a sense of smell that is 14 times better than ours. Regular chemical cleaning products only cover up the smell so we can’t smell it, but our cats still can. When cats repeatedly urinate in the same spot, it is the urine smell that attracts them to it.
If you want to use any other cleaners, just use one of the products listed below FIRST, then allow the area to dry completely, and then you’re ready to use any other product you’d like.
If you use other cleaners or steam clean your carpet first, that can set the cat urine stains and keep the odor around.
The Most Effective Products to Use:
Urine Off: Safe to use on carpets, hardwood floors, tile, grout, fabrics, upholstery. It works on all body fluids including: urine, feces, bile, blood, vomit, hairballs, & pet food dyes. *Contains citrus fragrance
Nature’s Miracle Urine Destroyer: Safe to use on carpets, hard surfaces, clothing, carriers, and litter boxes. This brand now makes several species-specific cleaning products for cats, ferrets, skunk odor, & birdcages. Do not use on silk, leather, or suede. *Some products contain added fragrances.
Anti-Icky-Poo: Safe to use on carpets, fabrics, upholstery, tile, wood floors, stainless steel and linoleum. Breaks down all organic matter including dog odors & skunk musk.
Zero Odor Pet: Safe to spray in the air, on furniture, it is non-toxic & biodegradable. All products can be used on all surfaces.
*Yes, if you or someone in your household has chemical sensitivities or sensitivities to smells, you DO still need to use one of the products listed above- natural cleaners will NOT be effective.
Steps to Cleaning:
- Locate urine stains. Don’t forget to check for pee in places you cannot easily see (you may need to use a black light). To completely remove the smell, every bit of urine must be removed. For freshly soiled areas, blot up as much as you can first with paper towels or a rag.
- You may need to patch test with certain products for colorfastness prior to using. Read the label for specific instructions. Also, do not dilute the cleaner- use at full strength.
- Saturate the stain, and if the urine has soaked into the carpet pad, soak the cleaning solution down into the pad.
- Allow to air dry completely. (If you are using Urine Off, pour a little water over the area and blot again to remove any remaining residue)
- You can now spray Feliway (happy kitty pheromones) over the area once every day to prevent cats from being attracted to the same spot.
Feliway is intended to be used both for eliminating urine marking and for reducing scratching on furniture. It is a great all-around calming aid.
My favorite way to use it is to spray 1-2 squirts on whatever is going to be lining the bottom of the carrier (towel, puppy pee pad, blanket) before putting the cat in the carrier.